Developing positive relations between the Polish Community and local residents.
Who are we?
Merseyside Polonia is the most recognised Polish not for profit organisation in the Northwest of England.
It was established in 2009 as a charitable organisation. The organisation is based in Liverpool but the project and events often involve communities from other boroughs on both sides of the River Mersey.
In the past few years, Merseyside Polonia has built up strong links with local authorities and services, arts and community organisations as well as other institutions and founders: among them Liverpool City Council, Polish Cultural Insititute in London or BBC Children in Need.
The organisation was registered on 9th of June 2009 and is governed by a Board of Trustees.
Merseyside Polonia governing documents are Memorandum and Articles of Association. Main objects of the organisation are:
- to raise awareness of the Polish Community and culture among the local community
- to support community development of Polish and other communities
- to build community cohesion by increasing understanding between communities representing different cultural backgrounds
Areas of work
Polish names such as Polanski, Chopin or Lem are well known worldwide. Our aim is to give you a chance to celebrate and experience contemporary Polish arts in Liverpool together. We support a range of activities across the arts – from literature and film festivals, reading groups, poetry slams, film premiers, to music concerts and dance workshops. In the past few years we have been working with local artists, well known Polish writers and filmmakers, storytellers, poets, musicians, UK based publishers, arts institutions, and venues.
A culture is a great tool for building strong relationships. We believe that a variety of events we offer give our participants an opportunity to engage and explore culture in many creative forms. We organise Family Arts and Crafts Workshops, celebrate Polish and English traditions, such as: Christmas, St Andrews Night, Polish Midsummer Festival, and more. All this allows participants of our events to be part of the famously diverse culture of Liverpool.
If you would like to find out more about Poland, Polish people and the role they played in the history of Merseyside, you have arrived at the right place. Merseyside Polonia engages with residents, local groups, schools and guests, to create greater awareness, appreciation and opportunities for celebrating the fascinating history of Poland. We encourage different groups of participants to promote our history and unfold our heritage, through a variety of events and activities – from lectures and films to educational programmes, school trips, and research. Enjoy exploring the history and heritage of Polish people in Poland and Merseyside.
What we do?
Our aim of developing positive relations between the Polish Community and local residents is delivered through:
- events inspired by Polish culture, art, and history
- ongoing projects
- community meetings presenting other cultures and minorities
- presentations on work of Merseyside Polonia, Polish Community and Polish culture
- school sessions
- volunteering opportunities
- placement for local and international students ( e.g ERASMUS)
- cooperation with local services on issues around the Polish and other communities
- cooperation with local, national and international media
Twitter feed is not available at the moment.